Saturday, July 24, 2010

Little Miss Sobersides

My dad called Lucy Little Miss Sobersides.  She is so SERIOUS!  This is surprising since Kevin and I are literally comedians.  I mean, LITERALLY, they pay us to make people laugh.  And we can't get our 10-month-old to laugh.  Oh the irony.

Once in a blue moon, I'll stumble on something that gives her the giggles. I keep at it until she is in hysterics! Oh the joy of a laughing baby! I stop, wait till Kevin is around then say "Hey, Kevin, LOOK!" and I'll do whatever silly trick or noise that was cracking her up mere hours - nay moments - before...and she might smile. Maybe. But she has to really be feeling generous. It is as if she is saying "Yeah, Mama, that was funny yesterday. Show me your new material."

But..but...I don't HAVE any new material Lucy! I thought belly-zerbert-lift-in-the-air-wiggle-tummy-back-flip-juggle-fire-stilt-walking WAS my new material! I am apparently just not that funny. I just hope she doesn't tell my boss.

Now, if you look closely at a lot of Lucy's serious pictures, you will see a glint of the silly in her eyes. I choose to believe that she is paying a long-running practical joke on us. One of these days, she will break out laughing for no reason at all. She'll tell us how she had such a hard time keeping a straight face that one time when I ran around the house with a dead chicken on my head singing The Star Spangled Banner in Japanese.
 
...But occasionally, Lucy's true nature is revealed and the silly breaks through no matter how hard she tries...

2 comments:

  1. My friend's daughter was like that for the longest time...seemed to not be impressed by anything funny her mom did, although she would laugh for her daddy. Now she laughs a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got her laughing in the swing today...so there is hope!

    ReplyDelete