Sunday, June 19, 2011

Boys vs. Girls

Last month, we found out we were having a BOY!  Woweee. I was (and to some extent still am) totally floored by this turn of events.  I am not sure why, but I REALLY was convinced we were having another girl.  I grew up in a house full of girls.  I have a daughter - not to mention a full 2 years worth of adorable, sweet, barely worn girlie clothes that will now never be worn in this house again (unless we decide to just put the baby in girl clothes...who would even notice?  Newborns all look alike anyway).  I don't know what to do with a boy.  Seriously.  What do you do with a boy? 

I am a little sad Lucy won't have a sister.  I am still getting over this, actually.  I remember a friend of mine was pregnant with her second and when they found out it was another boy, she felt like she was in mourning, since she really REALLY wanted a daughter.  I sort of regret finding out the gender, because after all the work of getting a baby out, I imagine would instantly fall in love with whatever was thrust into my arms.  Or at least instantly fall into relief at being done with the whole process of pregnancy and birth.  But there was always that little niggling fear that the first thought I would have as I discovered the gender was "oh, I wish it were another girl." (sort of like the dream I had that I gave birth to a cat - my first thought in the dream was "Oh, I was hoping for another baby...")  That is not that first thought I wanted to have about my child.


So I am letting it grow on me.  Boy.  Son.  Little BOY.  Baby boy.  Little brother.  Be nice to your brother.  Boy.  Boy.  Boy.  Boy.  My son.  Sweet baby boy.  Can you call a little boy pumpkin?  Or is that a girl nickname?  What about sweet potato pie?  Probably not princess...I'll have to come up with a whole new arsenal of pet names.  And I'll have to worry about him peeing in my face. 

He's awfully cute though, isn't he?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats!!! I think it'll be great to have one of each. And boys are GREAT!! I was super nervous about the idea of having a boy. Like you, I had no idea what to do with a boy. But then I couldn't imagine anything else.

    And yes, you can call a boy pumpkin. Or even sweet potato pie. ;) I used to call Jack love bug!

    ReplyDelete