Saturday, April 28, 2012

Whole Wheat Applesauce Cupcakes

For the moment, I shall ignore my sad blog-neglect.  I wanted to pin this recipe, since it was such a huge hit with Lucy, but there was no picture of the scrumptious cupcakes it created.  So here it is - a healthy (ish - no eggs, no butter, no milk, no added salt - just a wee heavy on the sugar to be truly healthy) cupcake.


Whole Wheat Applesauce Cake or Cupcakes


1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup granulated sugar or granulated brown sugar 
1 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cup unsifted whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional for a spicier cupcake)
1/2 tsp allspice (optional for a spicier cupcake)
1/2 cup raisins


Oil and flour an 8 inch round or square baking pan or muffin tins. Cream the oil and sugar together and mix in the applesauce and baking soda. Add flour and cinnamon, blending thoroughly. Pour the batter into pan or make individual cakes in muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes for an 8 inch cake; about 20 minutes for cupcakes.


I used a mini cupcake maker and baked them for about 7 minutes.  To ruin the health factor, I smeared them with some leftover butter cream frosting.  Yum!  And I took the picture with Hipstamatic to camouflage the crappy frosting job I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment