Friday, June 1, 2012

Updated Bug Spray Recipe

I have been tinkering with my bug spray, since the first batch smelled a lot like citronella and that smell makes me a little woozy.  This recipe is a little lighter and a little more fragrant.

2 fluid oz of witch hazel with aloe vera
a splash (roughly a tablespoon) of olive oil (or other skin-friendly of of your choice)
35 drop of cedarwood oil
25 drops of citronella oil
15 drops of lemongrass oil
15 drops of lavender oil
15 drop of clove oil

Yum!

A friend asked if they could use baby oil and the answer is NO!  Baby oil has fragrance added that will attract the bugs!  Almond oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, etc.  I am trying to figure out how to use coconut oil...

1 comment:

  1. This looks neat! Are you making and selling extra? I don't have any essential oils or other ingredients, only the cooking oils.

    As for the baby oil, that smell really is strong, but I believe mineral oil is the key ingredient in baby oil... If your friend really wants to try it, she could pick up food-grade mineral oil, which is unscented. I got a bottle from Bed, Bath, and Beyond way back when, though I'm sure many kitchen stores would have it.

    ReplyDelete